Acclaimed recipe developer Alison Lewis, author of "400 Best Sandwich Recipes" shares her secrets to making scrumptious sandwiches and great burgers.
Commitmentnow.com: What makes a great sandwich a great sandwich?
Alison Lewis: Start with the freshest and most seasonal ingredients possible.
Commitmentnow.com: What is your favorite sandwich recipe in this book?
Alison: Grilled Peach and Brie Sandwich
Commitmentnow.com: What are your best tips on making a fantastic grilled cheese?
1. Use freshly grated cheese
2. Use fresh and high quality bread
3. Experiment with new fillings such as using fruits such as figs and peaches.
4. Spreading the outside pieces of bread with butter always produces a wonderful grilled cheese.
Commitmentnow.com: Tell us how to make the best Italian sub ever--what are your secrets?
Alison: Adding oregano, quality vinegar and good olive oil is the key. Also, the more variety of meats and cheeses, the better. I also love to use a whole grain mustard on subs for an extra hint of strong mustard flavor.
Commitmentnow.com: What are your best tips on making a great hamburger?
1. Choose your beef wisely. I like using ground sirloin.
2. Don’t overwork the meat when making patties
3. Only flip the burgers once
4. Start with a clean, well-oiled heated grill.
5. When forming the patty, make an indent with your thumb in the middle.
6. Look for the best buns you can find.
7. Serve with melted cheese.
Commitmentnow.com: What is an interesting and unusual wrap recipe in this book?
Alison: The Trail Mix Wrap on page 190. The mixture of Greek yogurt, dried fruit and granola is very different, but makes a great breakfast or snack wrap.
Commitmentnow.com: What are your best ideas for sandwiches for school lunches?
Alison: Try new things and expose children to as many foods as possible. I like to make sandwiches in the morning before school so they are as fresh as possible. The Checkboard Tuna Sandwich is always a hit.
Commitmentnow.com: What did writing this book teach you about sandwich making that few people may know or understand?
1. Writing a sandwich recipe is not as easy at seems.
2. I am amazing at all of the different types of sandwiches there are internationally and in the U.S. and how different regions have their own favorites.
3. You can use almost any ingredient in a sandwich and the more variety, the better.
4. Healthy light sandwiches very possible.
5. Men really love sandwiches.
6. Coming up with 90 grilled cheese recipes is quite the challenge.
Commitmentnow.com: In your opinion, what are the biggest mistakes people most make when making sandwiches
1. Making the same sandwich over and over and not trying new meats, cheeses, breads and toppings.
2. Start with the fresh ingredients possible
3. I think if people make homemade condiments, such as pesto, spread, salsa, and sauces, it boosts the flavor of the sandwich even more.
4. Gather all of your ingredients before you begin will make your life easier.
To buy "400 Best Sandwich Recipes" click here.
Alison Lewis is a nationally known recipe developer, television and social-media spokesperson, food educator and nutritionist. Her blog, www.ingredientsinc.net, is widely popular. She lives in Birmingham, Alabama.